Welcome to Your Counselling! We’re a dedicated Calgary therapy clinic, where Calgary residents can find and use the city’s best child therapy services. Our youth therapy process is designed to empower young people on their journey towards emotional well-being, better mental health, and personal growth. Whether your child is facing behavioural challenges, emotional difficulties, or navigating significant life transitions, our experienced therapists and our youth counselling services are here to guide them. Let’s unlock their potential and instill better habits for a healthy, fulfilling life!
Benefits of Child Therapy in Calgary
Child therapy services, which come in several different approaches to cater to different personalities, offer a range of benefits that can profoundly impact a child’s life. Ultimately, it can help lay the foundations of healthy emotional habits that are vital for future maturity and success. At Your Counselling, we focus on:
- Emotional support: Our youth and teen therapists provide a safe and nurturing environment where children can freely express their thoughts, feelings, and concerns. Through compassionate listening and guidance, we offer the emotional support they need to navigate challenges and build resilience.
- Coping strategies: Child therapy equips kids with effective coping strategies and tools necessary to manage stress, anxiety, depression, and other emotional challenges. They learn healthy ways to navigate their emotions, build self-esteem, and cultivate positive relationships.
- Self-discovery and empowerment: Therapy for kids – especially teenager therapy – encourages self-exploration, helping them to gain a deeper understanding of their developing personalities, their strengths, and their unique qualities. By fostering self-awareness and empowerment, therapy gives children and adolescents more confidence for the future.
- Communication and social skills: Through therapy, children develop vital communication and social skills. They learn how to express their needs and emotions, resolve conflicts, and establish healthy relationships, setting a solid foundation for their personal and social development.
- Academic success: Child therapy can support academic success by addressing issues such as learning difficulties, organizational skills, and self-motivation. By developing strategies for overcoming academic challenges, children can enhance their performance and boost their self-confidence.
Is therapy right for my child?
Every person is different, and that’s as true for kids as it is for adults. But chances are good that if you’re even considering counselling for your child, you’ve identified an issue that could be resolved with a therapeutic approach. Behavioural issues, anxiety, depression, low self-confidence…there is no shortage of these issues as our children grow up.
With that said, we can’t answer that question conclusively without doing a clinical assessment of your individual situation and needs. To find out more, reach out for a free consultation and we can proceed from there in a way that best suits you and your child.
How to Get Child Therapy Services in Calgary
Finding the right therapist for your child or teenager isn’t as easy as typing “kids therapy near me” into Google. It’s crucial to have a counsellor that aligns with what you want and need, and one with whom you can establish a long-term relationship of respect and trust. It’s what our process is built on.
Our Youth Therapy Process
- Initial assessment: Our therapist will conduct an initial assessment that outlines a comprehensive understanding of the child’s needs, concerns, and goals. This assessment enables the creation of a customized treatment plan tailored to their unique circumstances.
- Trust-building and rapport: Establishing trust and building a strong therapeutic relationship are fundamental to child therapy. Our therapists prioritize a safe, supportive atmosphere where children can feel comfortable, heard, and understood.
- Therapeutic approaches: Our experienced child counsellors employ a range of evidence-based therapeutic approaches suited to children, including play therapy, cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT), art therapy, and mindfulness techniques. We select the most appropriate approach to address specific needs and personalities.
- Play-based and creative techniques: Play-based and creative techniques are integrated into therapy sessions to engage children in a developmentally appropriate manner. These techniques allow children to express their thoughts and feelings, promoting emotional exploration and healing.
- Skill-building and psychoeducation: Therapy sessions often include skill-building exercises and psychoeducation to equip children with practical tools for managing emotions, improving communication, and enhancing social skills. These activities empower youth to apply what they learn in therapy to their everyday lives.
- Family involvement: We recognize the importance of family dynamics in a child’s well-being. Our therapists may involve family members in certain aspects of therapy to enhance communication and understanding while fostering a supportive environment for future growth.
- Progress evaluation: Regular evaluation of progress is integral to child therapy in Calgary. Our therapists work closely with parents or caregivers to assess the child’s development, track goals, and make any necessary adjustments to the treatment plan to ensure continued success and achievements.
Why Children Get Therapy
Counselling for kids isn’t a punishment, or something just for those who “need help”. There are many reasons that parents, teenagers, and children seek out therapy – and those who do often end up healthier, happier, and feeling more in control of their emotions and well-being.
Youth Depression Counselling
While often lumped together into one catch-all term, depressive disorders actually come in many different forms – and the fluctuating hormones of adolescence can exacerbate the symptoms. Treatment of depression is one of the main reasons we see teenagers and other youth in our clinic, and proper therapy approaches can often complement other pharmaceutical options as well.
Anxiety and Trauma Therapy for Kids
Like depression, anxiety disorders come in many different shapes and sizes. In a world full of devices, distractions, and perceived dangers, many people struggle with it in some form or another – and in extreme forms, it can be crippling. The same goes for traumatic events. The feelings surrounding trauma can be internalized, leading to reactions and emotional responses long after the actual event. So, for children who experience these issues, therapy can be a blissful release that allows them to move on and live a better life.
Therapy for Child Behaviour Issues
From delinquency at school to trouble at home, many children act out as a way of getting attention or expressing something they otherwise cannot. This type of behaviour can be extremely difficult to navigate as a parent or caregiver, and they often engage therapists to help identify and dissuade it.
Questions About Child Counselling
Q: Can I get free youth counselling?
While not free, Your Counselling does use a sliding rate scale in order to offer more accessible and affordable services. In addition, many benefits plans cover counselling services, and we can even direct bill Alberta Blue Cross and Green Shield Canada.
Q: How old does my child need to be to get therapy?
There is no concrete age limit. Around ages 3-5, play-based therapy can be used to see results, with approaches changing as age increases. Older children might even wonder on their own how to get therapy – as a teenager, it’s a useful way to achieve better emotional and mental health.
Q: How long does child therapy typically last?
The duration of therapy varies depending on the needs and progress of the child. It can range from a few months to more extended periods. Our therapists work collaboratively with the child and their family to determine the most appropriate treatment duration for their specific circumstances.
Q: How do I know if my child needs therapy?
Children may benefit from therapy if they are experiencing emotional difficulties, behavioural challenges, academic struggles, or significant life transitions. It is important to pay attention to changes in their behaviour, mood, or social interactions. Our therapists can conduct an initial assessment to determine if therapy would be beneficial.
Q: Can therapy help my child even if they are not experiencing severe problems?
Absolutely! Therapy is not solely for children with severe problems. It can provide valuable support and guidance to young individuals navigating everyday challenges, helping them develop essential skills, build resilience, and enhance their overall well-being.
Q: Will therapy involve medication for my child?
We focus on providing counselling and psychotherapy services. While medication may be appropriate in certain cases, our therapists do not prescribe or administer medication. However, we can work collaboratively with other healthcare professionals, such as pediatricians or psychiatrists, if medication is deemed necessary.